Monday, October 29, 2007

Tech Tip Tuesday

Greetings, I'm going to be writing about some of the fun web tools that are available to make your life easier (or at least more fun). I've been called the "digital social butterfly" by my colleagues, but actually I'm an Instructional Designer in the Distance Learning department at Vol State and one of the best parts of my job is finding fun and exciting new applications out on the web. I'll do my best to share something new on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Let me know what you are interested in and I'll be glad to share some sites.

Today I wanted to share two of my favorites: Del.icio.us. and Stumble Upon

I don't know if you work from multiple computers like I do- if you do, then you understand the frustration of having bookmarked a favorite site on one computer only to need it for class or work. It can be hard when you don't remember the exact URL.
Del.icio.us helps you remedy that. This is a web based application that not only allows you to save all of your favorites, you can also describe why you saved the site and tag the site (if your friends have a Del.icio.us account, you can even share the site with them) just add them to your tag list. Finding your bookmarks is a breeze with the search feature. The tag feature also lets you search other users bookmarks to see what they are saving. Great when looking for a new twist for a paper...


StumbleUpon My StumbleUpon Page


My other favorite is Stumble Upon--if you ever wanted to just spend a few hours finding new and sometimes weird stuff, this application is for you. If you are using Firefox, you can quickly add your own Stumble Upon menu bar. Or you can just visit the site.

Happy Hunting!

2 comments:

Derek said...

There is now an Internet Explorer version of the Stumble Upon plug in as well. It's also one of the three extensions to come pre-packaged with Firefox Campus Edition. :)

Mary said...

Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed that last night but use IE so rarely, I forgot to mention it.