Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Say “H−EYE” to Genoa Jenkins

Genoa practices her tonometry skills using a Tonopen on an artificial eye.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned so far in the Ophthalmic Tech Program?

“Blindness is one of the most interesting. Most people who are legally blind can actually see in some form. It amazes me the things you can tell about people from their eyes, and how it seems like everything has to do with the eye. Also, how some diseases or medicines affect your eyes.”

What are you looking forward to most once at your clinical site?

“I am really excited to get out into clinicals and experience things hands-on. I am looking forward to getting to put to the test what I have learned.”

What would you tell someone who’s thinking about applying to the program, but hasn’t for one reason or another?

“I would tell them that if it sounds interesting to them and they like helping people to go for it. It is really a great program and there is always a job out there for you.”

What’s your least favorite thing about the program?

“I would have to say lensometry. Other than that, just my drive to school. I drive an hour and a half, but it is worth it.”

What’s your favorite thing about the program so far?

“Open-Lab on Friday. I like learning about the different equipment and skills we have to do, and then getting to practice for ourselves at our own pace.”


Posted by Melissa. Vol State. Volunteer State Community College.

No comments: