Friday, January 4, 2008

Say “H−EYE” to Lisa Edwards

Lisa practices using the “Big E” on a fellow classmate.

How did you hear about the Ophthalmic Tech Program here at Vol State?

“I had a friend go through the Dental Assisting Program and after taking a year off from school to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, I decided to check out the other programs Vol State had to offer. I knew I wanted to work in an eye doctor’s office, but I had been told there weren’t any programs for this. And so when I found this one on the website I knew it was for me!”

What would you say to someone who was thinking about applying to the Ophthalmic Tech Program, but thinks he/she won’t get in, that the program would be too difficult, or anything else that would keep him/her from applying?

“As far as odds go, I had every odd against me that I wouldn’t get in. I had a low GPA, not enough classes, and not enough time to devote because I had to work full-time in order to support my husband and myself. However, Mrs. Moore is wonderful! She worked with me all summer long to bring my GPA up and get the classes I needed. I had to commit 100% to the program, as well as to Mrs. Moore. And finally, with all of her help, I was able to get in, and the money situation miraculously worked itself out. It’s always worth a shot!”

Posted by Melissa. Vol State. Volunteer State Community College.

No comments: