Friday, February 29, 2008

Say “H−EYE” to Pam Whitson

Pam has the pressure in her eyes checked by a fellow classmate using the Tonopen.

How did you hear about the Ophthalmic Tech Program here at Vol State?

“At first, I was going to be in the X-Ray program here at Vol State, but when I went for
the clinical observations, I found that I was going for the wrong program. It just wasn’t for me. So I began my search for a new career, and I came across the Ophthalmic Technician Program in the Vol Stat catalog, and the rest is history!”

What’s your favorite thing about the program so far?

“So far my favorite thing about the program is the friends I’ve made. The program is a small group of about fifteen students, and it turns into a family really fast. We all get along great, and everyone has their own personality. It’s been a great
experience getting to know everyone.”

What’s your least favorite thing about the program?

“I haven’t been in the program long, but so far my least favorite thing is lensometry. It is a hard skill to learn that requires a lot of practice.”

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned so far?

“The most interesting thing I’ve learned so far is that cataracts are actually on the lens of the eye and not on the cornea on the outside of the eye. It’s neat to learn new things like that.”

Posted by Melissa. Vol State. Volunteer State Community College.

No comments: