Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Javascript performance testing

I've been using the jQuery JavaScript library for a while now. I use it on the current site to do things like rotate the images and story links on the home page. In the redesign, I'm using it for a lot more. Today I'm reading up on JavaScript performance in various browsers. I'm a Firefox users, and also a Mac user. That can skew my perceptions of how efficient these scripts are when compared to the majority of our audience, who are using some combination of Microsoft Internet Explorer (versions 6 or 7) and Windows (usually XP or Vista). I test on 8 different browsers on both Mac and Windows platforms, but when it comes to performance issues, variables like the amount of RAM in your system play a big role. I can't simulate that as effectively.


So I'd like to ask you all to take a couple of minutes out of your day and run this JavaScript speed test and let me know your results. All I need to know is the number that shows up where it says “Total Duration”. If you happen to know the name and version number of your browser you can tell me that too, but if not it's no big deal. You can comment to this entry or email me at webmaster@volstate.edu.


Thanks! :)

No comments: