Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Economy and You

Back in October, I talked with a few local businesses around campus about how they were weathering the economic downturn.

When I talked with local businesses last October, the Marble Slab Creamery across the street from school had just shut down. So far, no more businesses have shut their doors.

Not too far away from campus, The Streets of Indian Lake in Hendersonville opened in the middle of last year just before the economy began to decline. One of the restaurants, Barfield's Bar and Grill, closed its doors on January 18th due the weakened economy according to this Hendersonville Star News article.

Back on campus, I asked a group of students how the economy is affecting them. I was surprised to hear just how many people were having problems.

"I have no spare time! I have a child to raise, I have a full time job, go to school full time, trying to raise money to go to school and my child and my house payment. It's overwhelming, you know?" said Sabra Coslow.

"I'm losing hours at work and I'm not making more than 70 dollars week. Gas is going up again... every thing's getting expensive," said Kenia Roblero.

"It's only really affecting me with hours at work. Instead of laying people off, my managers just decided to cut hours," said Ashley Johnson.

Their stories were repeated by the 20 or so other students I talked with about the economy. Only one student I spoke with was positive about how things are going.

"It hasn't really affected me. I just recent got a job at a convenience store down the road. I have a lot of faith that I serve a God that is big enough to to take of all of us through this economic downturn," said Velvet Hale.

Now I turn it over to you the reader... how has the economic downturn affected you? Vote in the poll to the right and then comment on this entry.

Vol State. Volunteer State Community College.

No comments: