Friday, July 31, 2009

Student Travel-Study: South Africa

Tina Newman traveled to South Africa earlier this summer as part of the TnCIS travel-study program at Vol State. This is her account:

South Africa

It was the first time I had even been on an airplane and I had sure never been out of the country. The anthropology class was very eye opening in terms of human evolution. I have really been undecided about the subject until I got to see firsthand at Sterkfontaine Caves, in Johannesburg, the amazing fossils that have been discovered and are still being discovered on a daily basis. I also got to meet and get Dr. Clark's autograph. He is a world famous anthropologist, one of the best in the field. He has found the first ever extraordinarily complete fossil hominid skeleton.

I would have to say the most exciting and eye opening experience of this whole trip would be meeting the people of South Africa and getting to hear their stories of the damaging effects of the apartheid and the AIDS epidemic. I have made many life long friends and hopefully left a mark of some United States culture on them. I was surprised to meet so many people that have never been and have no intentions of coming to the U.S. but I do have to say they sure did love my southern accent.

All walks of life live in South Africa. It is a very rich and diverse country that still has much room for improvement for the black communities. Even though the aparthied ended in 1994 it still has left wounds on the minority communities that may never heal.

Thank You for this wonderful opportunity. I appreciate it more than you know.

Learn more about International Education at Volunteer State Community College:


No comments: