Monday, August 17, 2009

Doing It Again!

Volunteer State Community College has a diverse group of students from all walks of life with virtually the same goal of obtaining a degree in higher education.
Pablita Wood moved from the Philippines in 1992. “I got my Bachelor’s degree in elementary education in the Philippines, and I was a single mother at the time. My oldest child is eighteen now."
Sitting on the Vol-State lawn with her four year old son Chris, I approach Pablita and ask her if she is okay with a few questions. She is all smiles and begins explaining her reasons for deciding to go into the nursing program. “I decided to get into nursing for the challenge. My husband is also twenty years older than me, and in the event he needs to be taken care of I will have the ability to do that.” I asked her if he was sick, and Pablita replied that he is very healthy, but she realizes that with the age difference it may eventually become an issue.
Pablita moved to Tennessee from Louisiana in 1999. She is going to be taking online classes as well as classes on campus so that she can spend time with Chris.
This isn’t Pablita’s first time at Vol-State. She was taking classes in 2002 but took some time off after having her second son. She is looking forward to the challenge of diving into classes again along with keeping up with the responsiblities of being a wife and a mother.

No comments: