Friday, September 11, 2009

Gross...but cool

Hi, my name is Rachael Smith and I am a President's Ambassdor for Vol State. I am in A and P II (Anatomy and Physiology) and on the first day of lab we dissected a sheep! It consisted of the throat,voice box, heart, and lungs or in anatomy terms : pharynx, larynx, trachea, heart, and lungs.

First thing that we were told to do is cut the pericardial sac off of the heart! I thought i was going crazy because this was sooooo cool to me. Then if that wasn't freaky enough, we cut the heart completely out and cut a vertical line all the way down the throat to the lungs. Then we all rubbed our fingers down the lining of the throat to see how slippery it was. moo ha ha ha. Crazy huh. In defense, we all learned what kind of epithelial tissue the throat is consisted of and how the bronchial tree branches to the lungs. Just thought I would share a little bit of A and P life at Vol State with you.

Volunteer State Community College

No comments: