Friday, November 6, 2009

The Wise Dreamer

It has been said that wisdom comes with age. At age 67, Helen McBride has decided to embrace her dream of finishing her education.

I met McBride in my Journalism Technology class here at Vol State, and she has a very positive attitude and outlook on life. “I lost my husband July 2007, so there was no reason for me not to finish my education. I got married at age 17, and I had my first son two weeks before I turned 19. I was married for forty seven years.” said McBride.

“I got my G.E.D. May 17, 2008, and I started college in the fall of 2008. I want to be a writer of children’s stories, and I want to help children reach their dreams and go for it. I’ve started several stories I’ve never completed,” said McBride.

McBride has four grandchildren and said she loves spending time with them. “I like to write and talk to my oldest grandson, age 14. We have an excellent relationship. I push him towards music; my late husband was a musician and had distant relatives to Hank Williams, Sr.” she said. McBride said that her oldest grandson loves music, and being an advocate for reaching for your dreams, this is one of the reasons she supports him in this.

McBride has had many traveling opportunities. “I have been to Greece, Rome, and Jerusalem. I was in D.C. when President Dwight D. Eisenhower was inaugurated. I was six, and I saw no reason for me to be there,” said McBride with a laugh.

McBride has a vision and a goal. The fact that she has the drive to do this shows great character. She said, “The dream never dies, only the dreamer.” That sounds like the making of a great story.


Volunteer State Community College

No comments: