Thursday, January 14, 2010

Vol State Raises Money for Haiti

Vol State is responding to the disaster in Haiti as the death toll rises daily.

Phi Theta Kappa is accepting donations that will go directly to the American Red Cross in Haiti. “Our challenge is to have each student and member of the staff and faculty donate one dollar,” said Stacy Jones, Phi Theta Kappa President.

“The American Red Cross has a team in Haiti that is constantly there,” said Lydia Yau, PTK Treasurer. Yau said that they are in greater need of cash assistance because sending items is harder. “It’s easier to donate cash because of their buying power. They know what the needs are,” said Karen Yates of the American Red Cross. Yates is the fundraising chair of PTK.

The reason Vol State is contributing is simple. “Disaster can hit anytime, and we might be in need. It is good karma.” said Jones. “It’s good stewardship,” Yates said. “Pay it forward,” said Yau.

The Phi Theta Kappa table will be set up through welcome week, during the day on January 14, 15, 19, and 20. Afterward, donations can be directed to the Office of Student Life in the Wood Campus Center room 215. If you are writing a check, address it to The American Cross, and in the memo line write AP 2885 Haiti Relief and Development.

Volunteer State Community College

2 comments:

betty said...

I think it's great the VSCC is stepping up to the plate to assist in the Haiti Earthquake Relief Efforts.

I am a student @ Vol State, and an RN. I usually assist in Hurricane Relief here, in the U.S....,if I can find childcare, as I am a single parent. Thus far, I have been able to assist each time I wanted.

Being that I am familiar with disaster relief, I would like to know if there have been any efforts to establish a Healthcare Relief Team at any of the local colleges, here in the States???
If so, "How do I get involved?"

Thanks,

Betty Watkins, RN

Amie Lara said...

Betty,

Thank you for your thoughts. I commend you for your efforts in the Hurricane Relief efforts.

As of now we haven't heard of any Healthcare Relief Team efforts in the colleges. If we hear of any, we will be sure to post it!

Thank you,

Amie Lara, Student Blogger