Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ramer Touched Many Lives

Dr. Hal R. Ramer touched so many lives. Here are a few more stories about Dr. Ramer and the personal stories of those who knew him.

“He’s someone I’ll never forget, and strive to be more like. If I had the staff and students at this school feel the same way about me that they felt about him, I will have done a good job,” said Cyndy Atteberry, Secretary of the Advising Center.

Atteberry started here seven years ago and worked in the bookstore. “He came in there all of the time for munchies. He was so warm and kind. He just always made you feel so special, like he was just a regular Joe. My husband is disabled, and he always asked me about Dennis; how he remembered his name, I’ll never know. He took a personal interest in everyone. I wish I could be more like him,” said Atteberry.

Jim Hiett, Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs said, “In addition to being the first president (of Vol State), he helped the state of Tenn. develop the community college. It was a new idea, and he helped form the idea. He was a native Tennessean. He was always focusing on helping people to learn. He was committed to lifelong learning, and he was a giant when it came to keeping things going.”

“If he would have lived another twenty years, he would still be very involved in promoting higher education. When he retired he stayed in contact with the Tennessee Higher Education Commission,” Hiett said.

Atteberry talks about Women for Higher Education. “He was one of the first men to really back that. He backed our programs; he backed empowering women, and empowering minorities. This entire school is because of him,” she said.

“He was a healthy, self-contained person. He didn’t spend a lot on himself. He was generous and confidential. He would help pay bills, mortgages, buy a car after a car wreck; not just for students, but faculty and staff. He didn’t see people as a bunch of numbers. He was more about the individual, “said Hiett.

Associate Professor of Mathematics Vicky McVey said, “I was a student here in ’74-’76. He treated everybody like family, and he called us his Vol State family. I worked in math and science work study, and would talk to people. He wanted to know what was happening. After I came back as faculty, I remember he gave all of the women faculty and staff boxes of candy on Valentine’s Day. He was so kind hearted.”

Dr. Ramer’s funeral is today in Nashville at 3 p.m. Tomorrow there will be a memorial service at 6 p.m. in the Caudill Hall auditorium.


Volunteer State Community College

No comments: