Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vol State Students Ready to Fire Up the Grill!

The props are set, lighting ready to go, and lines are memorized.

The cast of the musical “The Spitfire Grill” is made up of Vol State students. Here is a glimpse of the cast gearing up for dress rehearsal in the back of the house and onstage.

The role of Sheriff Joe Sutter is played by Deron Martel. “This is my second musical at Vol State.

I just love it. Vol State’s theater program is top notch,” he said. Martel is a theater major and remembers the first time he knew he wanted to be an actor. “When I was five or six I saw the ‘Phantom of the Opera.’”

Not everyone in the cast is a theater major. Tayler Swanner plays the role of Shelby. “I’m a foreign language major, and this is my second musical," she said.

“The Spitfire Grill” is directed by Judi Truitt, Associate Professor of Communications and Theater. “I’ve directed for 30 years. This is my second show at Vol State. I saw it (‘The Spitfire Grill’) a couple of years ago at the Cumberland County Playhouse. It has something for everybody. It has laughter and tears; it deals with domestic violence; it deals with friendship, self confidence, and acceptance," Truitt said.

Craig Griffith said, “I play the bad guy. I am Caleb, the husband of Shelby.”

“I like that it’s a folk musical and I like the story it tells,” said Samantha Campbell, who plays Percy. “It’s folk rock,” Griffith said about the style of music in the show.

Show times are Thursday Feb. 25,-Sat. Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m., in the Wemyss Auditorium of Caudill Hall. Tickets are 5 dollars for non-students. Students are free with ID, but a 5 dollar donation is suggested.


Volunteer State Community College

No comments: