Monday, March 15, 2010

Passion: Her Driving Force

Passion comes in various forms, and for Vol State student Lydia Yau, this is in the field of Human Services.

“It is like social work. Human Services is a big umbrella,” said Yau.

Yau is recently divorced and is a single mother of two. “My children are age 21 and 15,” she said. Both of her children live at home with her.

Speaking with Yau was a breath of fresh air, and her focus and drive is impeccable. “I have to work really hard to keep my GPA up so that I can get scholarships. After going through life, I really understand the importance of an education; I soak it up like a sponge,” she said.

Yau grew up in Malaysia and went to a missionary school. “I had monks and nuns that taught me,” she said.

“My goal is to become an international social worker. I have been active and volunteering for the past 30 years; in church, the community, and schools. I’ve volunteered in Malaysia, Singapore, and Nashville. I love children and have been in children’s ministry,” Yau said.

“I never realized that volunteering was social work. I do it with a passion. I love people and I genuinely want to help people,” said Yau.

Yau and I talked a little about Nicholas Kristof’s book “Half the Sky" which focuses on the oppression of women worldwide.
Yau had the opportunity to see him speak when he came to Vol State as well. “This second chance at an education is all the more valuable to me because I have seen the other end of the spectrum,” she said. She went on to say that she has seen those going through hard times not only in Malaysia and Singapore, but also in Nashville, Tenn.

Yau is a member of Phi Theta Kappa which is an honors program for students with an above average GPA. Yau currently has a 4.0.


Volunteer State Community College

No comments: