Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Student's Battle with CDH

On first glance Laura Myers is a typical college student at Vol State. There is one distinct difference that separates her from other students. Myers was born with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH).

“It is a hole in the diaphragm and lets the organs go up inside. The only problems I have are breathing issues. My lung is about half the size of a normal lung. I can’t do a lot of physical activities. I know my limits,” said Myers.

Despite her ability to participate in extreme physical activities Myers said, “I’ve enjoyed my life. I want to get a business degree, and my dream would be to be on “Saturday Night Live” or something. I love theater, but I also have realistic goals.”

Myers was born in Taiwan and adopted from an American family. “They already had two children before they adopted me. We actually went back (to China) when I was 12 and I got to meet my entire birth family. I got to go to the orphanage I was at. For a very short time I was put into an orphanage,” she said.

“The majority of the time I was in the hospital. I had seven surgeries when I was a baby and one when I was eight,” she said.

Myers has spoken at a conference about CDH giving her optimistic view. “It was nice to meet other people that have the same thing. CHERUBS is a support group that was started by a woman who had a five year old son who died of CDH,” she said.

“I’m just enjoying where I’m at now, and the things I’ve learned about CDH have helped me appreciate life,” Myers said.

Myers is 19 years old, and said she enjoys playing the guitar, video games, and drums at church. She also enjoys spending time with her niece and nephew.

Volunteer State Community College

No comments: