Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Family in Uniform

Following in his family’s footsteps is what Vol State student Brandon Kellam, 20, is planning to do.

Kellam is a criminal justice major. “It kind of runs in my family. My great grandfather was one of the first black police officers in Springfield,” he said.

“I have an uncle and he is a retired state trooper. He guards Governor Bredesen. I want to do something with the state. I would really like to work for the U.S. Marshalls. My grandmother is a retired Master Sergeant from the Army. My dad is retired military too,” said Kellam.

“As a kid I was always interested in watching ‘America’s Most Wanted’ and ‘Cops.’ I’m a people person, and you see different things every day,” Kellam said about some of the reasons he is interested in a career in law enforcement.

Kellam is not only going to school, but he helps care for his ten month old nephew as well.

“I have a mother who is really sick. She is a really bad diabetic. My nephew stays with me and I help take care of him during the week,” he said.

Kellam is planning to graduate Spring 2011 from Vol State if he doesn't transfer to a four year university in the fall.


Volunteer State Community College

No comments: