Monday, May 24, 2010

On the Road to Writing

Changing career paths was a life change for Vol State student Steven R. Zellers.

“I was a truck driver from ’86 to 2007. I hurt my back and so I can’t drive a truck anymore,” Zellers said.

Zellers has been writing for years. “I love to write. My first book was ‘The Truth About Trucking.' For years I sent my stuff out and got rejected like most people. I finally self published ‘The Truth About Trucking.’ Then Ingram picked me up,” he said.

Another story Zellers has written is titled “The Perfect Girl.” “It was kind of an accident. I wrote a blog about it on MySpace basically listing what I thought would be the perfect girl. I got about 1,000 emails, and decided to write a book about it,” he said.

Zellers is a secondary education major. “I love to write. I want to teach creative writing. I want to make a difference as a writer. If I can show the young kids that there is more out there than just drugs and gangs, I think I’d be a good teacher. Maybe I can help someone,” he said.

According to Zellers his book “The Power to say No More to Abuse,” is a story about growing up with an abusive father. He says that he is against substance abuse, and wants to convey this.

The Nashville City Paper wrote a positive review of Zellers’ book “Darktales” on July 25, 2008.

Zellers sells his publications on Amazon. “I sell about 200 to 300 copies a month,” he said.

In 2000 he had the opportunity to write and direct a movie titled “Retribution.”

For more information about Zellers visit his website.

Volunteer State Community College

No comments: