Thursday, May 27, 2010

Vol State Student Utilizes New GI Bill

The cost of attending college can sometimes be very daunting with the cost of tuition, books, and general daily living expenses.

Computer Information Systems major Vicky Weeks decided to use her GI Bill benefits and is attending Vol State after six years active duty in the United States Air Force. Weeks was getting books for her summer classes with her daughter Emily, 2.

Weeks said she likes Vol State. “This is my third term. The staff is always helpful and it’s pretty easy to get here,” she said.

As far as missing the Air Force she says, “Yes and no. I’m glad I got out when I did, but there are a lot of aspects I do miss. I was stationed in Germany for two years and I got out in 2005. I was an E-5 Staff Sgt.”

The new GI Bill has a few differences. “They pay your tuition, give you a book stipend, and a cost of living allowance,” she said.

Weeks said she is going to try to get transferred to Western Kentucky University after graduating from Vol State.


Volunteer State Community College

No comments: