Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kilts and Film in Scotland

Vicki Phillips has been touring the highlands of Scotland, as part of a Vol State travel study program. Here is her report:


I knew when I began my journey to Scotland that I would come back with new views on the culture and society of another country, but, what I did not know is that I would have learned so much from it. From the moment the bus dropped us off in Edinburgh, I immediately started soaking up the amazing scenery of the city. Edinburgh (pronounced Ed-in-bro) is a lively city full of pedestrian lined streets and sidewalks as cars are a luxury there and not a necessity. The castle lined streets and colorful buildings were a photographer's dream and it was interesting to hear from the locals about the important history of the city. Although I could have had fun sight-seeing forever, I did have a class. The class we took in Edinburgh was a women's film study class. We were even lucky enough to be there for the Edinburgh Film Festival, where we had the opportunity to view movies from international directors before the public could. It was amazing. I learned so much about how movies depict female stereotypes. It really opened my mind and has me thinking about what we can do to change that.

After the hustle and bustle of the big city we took a few days and headed to Portree Isle of Skye. It looked exactly like a postcard: sheep grazing on lush mountaintops. The sea reflected off the mountains, so I could not tell where one ended and the other one began. Our last stop was in Glasgow, where plaid kilts and bagpipes ended my journey on a memorable note.

-Vicki Phillips
Volunteer State Community College

No comments: