Friday, August 6, 2010

Bike Ride to Help Vicitms of Human Trafficking

Vol State student and President's Ambassador Jamie Blurton is officially in training. She's hitting the bike for a few miles each day. The goal is a 30 mile, one day bike ride in October. It's not just a personal goal, but a passion. Jamie is riding to raise money for victims of modern day slavery. Advocacy groups say that it is the fastest growing criminal activity in the world.

"It's astonishing how many people are not aware that this is going on," Blurton said.

Human trafficking includes forced labor and sexual slavery. Ride for Refuge raises money for the organizations that work directly with victims.

"It's up to 7000 riders this year. The point is for people to sponsor you and the money will go to the group we choose. It just felt like something I had to do. I'm not an experienced bike rider. I'm going to do 30 miles."

Blurton found out about human trafficking when a group visited campus and spoke about the problem. She says it shows that college is about even more than classes and degrees.

"I've come here and I've been involved in so many organizations and groups," she said. "I'm a different person than I was a year ago, before I came to Vol State."

For information on the ride and to sponsor Jamie visit:

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=924272&LangPref=en-CA

For information on human trafficking and Tennessee visit: http://www.endslaverytn.org/

2 comments:

Ben Jobe said...

Jamie Blurton learned about human trafficking in my COM 100 (Fundamentals of Speech Comm.) class last fall. Two speakers from End Slavery in TN and Beyond--Derri Smith and Karen Karpinski--presented a powerful presentation about modern-day slavery. Jamie volunteered to be in a music video "Stolen" in wihch she played a victim. The music video was shown when Karen returned in spring term to speak to my COM classes. Naturally, I am proud to have played a part in all this. Like Jamie said, Vol State is much more tha just classes!
Ben Jobe,
Adjunct Professor

Derek said...

The song "Stolen" is written and performed by Nashville area band 3 Minutes to Live. The video Jamie appears in is available on their website. Just a warning, given the subject matter, it's some pretty dark stuff.