Monday, November 22, 2010

Overcoming Challenges


College students face challenges every day, but some challenges are more complicated than others. At only 17, Vol State student Kalyn Barber has had to make significant changes to her lifestyle after passing out suddenly on September 11.
After she passed out she went to 3 different doctors, and was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia. She isn’t allowed to drive for 6 months, and has had to alter her schedule a great deal.
“It is frustrating because I have to eat 6-8 meals a day to keep my blood sugar regulated, which can interfere with my schedule,” said Barber. “I had to skip class this morning because I had to get a meal in.”
Although she lives in Murfreesboro, she decided to attend Vol State for the radiology program, but since finding out the news on her health, will transfer to MTSU in the spring.
“If I were to continue at Vol State, I would have to skip next semester with a medical appeal because I’m on financial aid,” said Barber. “It is just easier to transfer to MTSU.”
Barber said that not driving has made it more difficult to get to school. She wakes up at 4 a.m. so she can be in the car by 5:30 a.m.
“My dad drives me to Gallatin to a friend’s house,” said Barber. “My dad has to be at work so he can’t take me at 9. We leave her house at 7:30 a.m. because her first class is at 8 a.m.”
Barber’s classes are from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. and she has to wait for about 5 hours until her father is able to pick her up from Vol State after he gets off of work.
“After that, I go to one of my various commitments,” she said.
Although Barber has had to go through some challenges, she said there is a silver lining. Since MTSU doesn’t offer a radiology program, she has decided to go into elementary education.
“I thought I wanted to do radiology, but I realized I’d be better off in education because I love kids,” she said. “I never would have considered anything else but radiology had this not happened.”
As long as Barber doesn’t have any more blackouts, she said she will be able to drive in March 2011.
Volunteer State Community College

No comments: