Friday, January 14, 2011

Meet Your Neighbors

What motivates people to go to college? Yesterday, as I walked from class to class, I noticed the diversity of students on the Vol State campus. I would venture to say that we cover just about every demographic you can imagine. One of the things that helped me decide to attend this college was how helpful the staff was in walking me through the enrolment process. I had an opportunity to ask a few people about their experiences.

Boyd Kernodle has decided to return to college after retiring from the U.S. Navy. Because of his love for history, he is working on a history/teaching degree with the hopes of sharing the things that are important to him with others. Boyd has dealt with physical complications since 1994, when a 1200 pound fuel tank crushed his wrist and elbow. Because of this, he uses a laptop to take notes in all of his classes. He said, “I have been to colleges on the west coast and throughout the south, and Vol State is one of the friendliest and most helpful colleges that I have run across.” He also encouraged non–traditional students to stay focused; “If a busted up vet can do this, anyone can.”

Janie Bresee, a philosophy major, is a returning sophomore. Janie was invited last year to participate in the honors program. After visiting Europe, she said, “My experience there has drastically broadened my horizons and taught me to set ambitious goals. I have recently developed a goal to take some summer courses at Oxford University in England.” She offers this advice to new students: “Maintain balance. Obviously, studies should be top priority so that you can get good grades, but don’t forget about your family and friends. The secret is to not procrastinate: study now and hang out later.”

Volunteer State Community College

No comments: