Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Drowning in School Work

At least once a day I decide, I am going to quit school forever! With papers due, assigned reading, and research that needs to be completed it gets a little tense at times. Did I mention juggling work, family, sports, friends, community, church, and clubs? Sometimes you feel like you are holding your breath under the water waiting for that moment you can burst to the surface to catch your breath.

After calming down and thinking about the benefits of sticking it out just a few more years, I realize that if it was easy, everyone would have a degree. We just finished our first month of the spring semester and this is the time where many students are feeling overwhelmed. What tips and tricks are helping other students to cope with the rapid pace?

Gauguin Simmons, is finishing his second year at Vol State and said the secret of his success has been to “Get to class early and take good notes.”

Kandice Dixon who is studying to be a physical therapist assistant said that something as simple as, “using dividers for her classes has been a factor in her staying ahead of the curve.” Dixon is taking advantage of the New Skills department on campus. “I really like that you can learn at your own pace.”

I spoke with Samantha Baskerville, a pre-nursing major from Portland, TN in the language lab, and she took a moment to share some frustrations, tips, and advice with starting her first semester at college. Though she doesn’t know anyone on campus, she noted how friendly the students have been. “Advising was disappointing, I was in tears when I left, I almost didn’t come back because I was so discouraged. I started out with four classes because I didn’t know you could take five or six or I would have.”

She recommends new students to come in with a positive attitude, “Don’t come in thinking it’s too-much, or it’s going to be overwhelming, cause’ then it will be.”

When reflecting on procrastination she said, “I am not a procrastinator; I attack it as soon as I get it.”
If you have a particular study habit that really helps you stay on top of your game please share it on the Vol State Facebook page. We encourage you to contribute to the discussion going on.
Volunteer State Community College

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha!

Not the first time I've heard of someone leaving Advising disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Haha!

Not the first time I've heard of someone leaving Advising disappointed.