Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Alumni and Ghost Stories

Today, I had a chance to talk to a former tutor of mine and I found out she is an author with one book out and another on the way.

Anna Neff is a 2009 Vol State graduate. Last semester, I took advantage of the resources found in the TRIO program. I needed a little help with Spanish and I was happy when I met Anna. I was suprised to find out that she is also an author. Her first book is called "Jadzya’s Life." It's in the final stages of editing before hitting the printing press.

Anna has long been a fan of Anne Rice, Stephen King, V.C. Andrews and other writers in the suspense / horror / fantasy genre.

She said the book has dark overtones and interaction with the spirit world, “I try to share how to deal with the pain of living in a dysfunctional family, through the eyes of a young girl growing up.”

“As I got further along in college I wanted to let people know that things may seem hopeless but if your mind is in the right place and you have a lot of perseverance eventually you will succeed," she said.

She says Vol State helped to get her where she is now.
“I had close connections with the professors and have stayed in contact with many of them. They seemed to have a different way of teaching me certain things that weren’t on the syllabus, but they were things you could use in life. In particular, Professor Bratcher has really been an inspiration for me and encouraged me to continue writing when I was discouraged.”


Anna says she is already working on her next project in the series of books. As a student and a writer I am always excited to hear the success stories of former students. I look forward to reading the novel when it comes out. Here is a link to Anna’s web site.

No comments: