Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Interested in a President's Ambassador Scholarship?

Why am I a President's Ambassador?


Yesterday I realized that my year as a President's Ambassador is coming to an end. The reason is that I went to the information meeting for next year's Ambassadors. I was there with some of my peers to answer questions. We answered a few and everybody seemed happy. Everybody but me. We got the question why someone should become an Ambassador. I was a little nervous and wasn't very helpful. I should have answered with the following story.

I was giving my very first campus tour last semester to a young man named Jim. Jim walked into the Admission's office with two artificial legs. I had been a little nervous, but that went away quickly after meeting Jim. He had spent almost ten years in the armed forces, until he lost both his legs in combat. He had barely finished high school before enlisting, so he didn't have many options for what to do next, other than being a husband and stay-at-home dad. Instantly, I had nothing to be nervous about. Jim himself wasn't sure about going to college. He was nervous about trying something new and about other possible effects he had suffered  from the bomb. After the tour, we sat in the Admission's office and my one hour turned into two while answering his questions. One of my suggestions was that he should take a class or two, to see how he could handle being a college student. When he left, I was confident that he would start college this semester. When I saw Jim in the Wood Campus Center early this semester with a backpack on his shoulder, I knew why I am a President's Ambassador for Vol State.

It's not what Vol State can do for you. It's what You can do for Vol State and its current and future students.

Ambassador = A diplomatic official of the highest rank appointed and accredited as representative in residence by one government or sovereign to another, usually for a specific length of time. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ambassador)

Goran Larsson
President's Ambassador 2010-2011

Students: are you interested in a President's Ambassador Scholarship? Only students with certain grade point averages are eligible. You would have received a letter in the mail if you are eligible. If so, make sure you fill out the application by Monday, April 4. Just visit the Admissions Office in Ramer 173.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Goran,
I am the student who asked why someone should become a Vol State Ambassador. I wanted to let you know I saw your story.
Thank you for answering my question.
D. Brooks