Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why You Should See Man of La Mancha

"To dream the impossible dream" This famous line is the theme song of the new Vol State production, Man of La Mancha. The title of the musical may sound a little crazy, but don’t let that stop you from coming down for one of the performances tonight through Sunday. The cast has successfully used humor, drama, and most of all music, to inspire the audience.


Andrew Kaufman is currently a theater major and has multiple roles in this performance. Kaufman contributed not only as an actor, but also as a choreographer. Kaufman said, “I’ve really enjoyed working with this cast; I have done some performances with the lead, Deron Martel before. I handled all the fight sequences. I have been involved in choreographing at the Tennessee Renaissance Festival working with all kinds of weapons; swords, shields and other types of hand to hand combat.”

Christian Arguello who plays Pedro, is not a newcomer to acting. He shared how he got introduced to live performance, “I have been around theater most of my life. I did a lot in elementary school, when I got to Hendersonville High School I did various roles from back stage, sets, and stage manager. I have pretty much been involved in singing and acting most of my life.”

Buddy Daniels, who plays Sancho Panza, was instrumental in getting this production rolling. Daniels said, “I took a theater class last spring and Man of La Mancha was my favorite Broadway musical. For my final exam, a classmate and I performed The Impossible Dream and the instructor, Edmon Thomas, told me he was thankful that I put this musical back on his radar. This isn’t my first rodeo, my wife and I met doing theater 26 years ago.”


The lead actor Deron Martel will be graduating in the fall.


“I am thrilled about the cast," he said. "It’s a beautiful story with beautiful music. I think it is cool that it is still popular considering how long ago the original story of Don Quixote was written. My mother took me to see phantom of the Opera and as soon as I saw Brad Little on stage, I told my mom this is what I want to do. It seems like you would never get tired of it. Once I move on from college I hope to move to Abingdon, Virginia to hopefully get on with the nationally acclaimed Barter Theatre. They put on Broadway caliber musicals all the time and I believe musicals are my forte and my calling.”


Anthony Vick, and Craig Allan Jones (A.K.A. Moose) both play tough guys in the production. They said the most difficult part has been learning how to be rough and manhandle the lead actress Amie Lara, which is an integral part of the plot. Acting out violence without hurting a cast member is a real skill. They have been involved in other productions, but have really enjoyed working with this cast.

Amie Lara plays a lead role as Aldonza. “This is the first Vol State musical I have ever performed in," she said. "It seems like with most theater productions I have been in everyone kind of becomes like a family and it will be sad when it finally ends this week. My favorite part about this play is the physical activity and the fight scenes.”


Performances start today (Thursday) at 7:30 p.m. and go through Saturday night with an additional performance Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.
Volunteer State Community College

2 comments:

Amie Lara said...

Thanks again Paul for taking the time to do this story and take all of the amazing pictures!

Amie Lara

Amie Lara said...

Thanks again Paul for taking the time to do this story, and taking amazing pictures!

Amie Lara