Thursday, May 12, 2011

Vol State's Magic Softball Team

Victory! This word sums up the back-to-back insanity that the Vol State women’s softball team felt on Wednesday afternoon as they won the final game of the TCCAA Region Seven Tournament. Three games in a row left the team exhausted and thrilled at the same time. “This is the first time in the history of our softball program we have won the state championship,” said Head Coach Johnny Lynn.

This particular team seems to have a special magic about them. Shortstop, Whitney Ford, has been playing softball in Adams, Tennessee since she was a child.

“I started playing baseball when I was five and then they made me move over to softball when I turned eight. I didn’t want to at first,” she said. "Mr. Lynn has been a really good coach. At first he made me mad, but I think it was because he knew what we were capable of and he would really push me. Now it makes me happy that I have a coach that cares about me and wants to see me succeed and go far.”


Director of the Athletic program Bobby Hudson said that “yesterday was one of the gutsiest efforts I have ever seen from a team.”

Sophomore Jordan Runions is the catcher. “Our chemistry was crazy-good. Throughout the whole year we have had our ups and downs but we have focused on staying together and playing as one. The difference is there is a passion and excitement at the heart of each player.”

The team is headed off to St. George, Utah for the National Championships which start Thursday, May 19. Ford went on to say, “We leave on Sunday and I have never been on an airplane, so this my first time. “I am nervous but excited. I think it will be a great experience and be really fun.”

Since we are all waiting to see what happens you can expect more information in the days ahead. Hopefully this team’s magic will take them all the way to the top.

Photographs by Stacy Womelduff

Volunteer State Community College

No comments: