Wednesday, June 8, 2011

National Honors for Vol State Softball Players

Vol State sophomore, Jennifer Givens has been playing softball since her ninth grade year at Roane County High School.  Not only did she help the Lady Pioneers take the state championship this year, but she ended up placing on the Division I, All American National award winners along with fellow student Katie Pfost.  The team just returned from competing in the National Championship in Utah. 
I asked Givens what made the team successful this year and she smiled and replied, “One of the main reasons is good chemistry and the lack of drama!  Normally, girls have a lot of drama, but not this team.  We all did our jobs.”
She has not decided on which college she will move on to next year but she has plenty of options. “I’m still waiting, to see where I have the best offer,” she said.  “I love our coaches and wish they could move on to my next school with me.”
Pfost has accepted an offer from Morehead University in Kentucky.  “I was actually was taking a maymester class and I dropped and rescheduled it because I was so stressed out about taking it." She said, "I really wanted to focus on one thing and to me this to me was the most important.”
Statistics show Givens lead the district with 68 stolen bases while Pfost ended up with 214 strikeouts.  Stats will be finalized soon on the National Junior College Athletic Association statistics page.
Assistant Coach Jimmy Buckner recognized that this year the Pioneers had something special.  “They played well together like a team should,” he said.  “They worked well both on and off the field and it really showed. A lesser team could not have done what they did this year.”
Congratulations to Katie and Jennifer for job well done.  We look forward to hearing more about your softball careers.
Volunteer State Community College

No comments: