Monday, June 27, 2011

Vol State Helps Non-Profit

I double checked the address as I pulled into the cracked driveway in Gallatin.  Yep, this is where Google maps said I would find the office for Children Are People (CAP).  I let myself in through the rod iron gate and noted the yard tools ready to be put to use grooming the landscape.  Vol State alumnus Alex Sircy greeted me as I walked up the stairs pulling off his gloves to shake my hand.  He gave me a brief tour of the facility which was full of volunteer activity from students, staff, and other participants while he told me about the program. 
The goal of CAP is to help students that may be at-risk in their educational opportunities whether at school or home, and then provide them with a chance to fill-in these gaps through tutors that work with them preparing them for higher education.  The founder, Fred Bailey, believes strongly in character building activities and involves the kids in ways that teach them to be civically engaged, politically involved, just to be good citizens of the world.
Student Life and Diversity director Dr. Monique Wright got involved with the program as a board member several years ago. 
“The mentoring aspect of CAP was one thing that attracted me to this program,” she said. “I knew that anything Mr. Bailey put his mind to would be something that would be really good.  He has instilled such a work ethic in his sons and then hearing his story when he came and spoke to our Vol State students.  Since I don’t live in Sumner County, other than the college I have never really had a big connection with Gallatin and this has given me that opportunity.  We have had Vol State students donate time working at CAP to fulfill their requirement to do community service.”
While cleaning windows, student Melissa Richardson said, “Even though it’s hard work, I enjoy helping.”
Susan Superczynski has been working as a key figure for CAP for the last four years.  “We have a long standing relationship with Vol State and Dr. Parrent has been a really good friend to CAP,” she said.  “Dr. Monique Robinson-Wright is on our board.  So that is another tie-in with the college.  We had a grant last year to help our eighth grade classes and Bob Berry and his group have helped out with getting all of our computers set up.  You guys have been awesome to work with.”

No comments: