Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hands-On Journalism at Vol State

Elliott Pratt is a Vol State President's Ambassador and also a sports writer. This semester he's writing for the Settler student newspaper:


Student publication is the biggest voice that the student has at Volunteer State, whether it be through the student newspaper in The Settler, the magazine in The Pioneer, or even through this blog you are reading now. I am excited to be finally involved with the Volunteer State student newspaper, The Settler.

I have had previous experience with working for a newspaper but not to the extent that I will go through this school year. I was the sports writer for my high school newspaper that was running on fumes to be frank. I also have experience as a freelance sports writer for my hometown newspaper. But The Settler will provide a whole new involvement with student publication. The Settler is published once a week, which requires more time and involvement than I have had to put forward in the past.

With that said, I would like to encourage any student that even has a slight interest in writing and also being a voice for the student body, to join any student publication. You do not have to have any previous experience in working for a newspaper or even a magazine. It can be a new endeavor to set forth on and can also help with any other writing involvement you have in the future. I am extremely excited to be a part of this year’s Volunteer State Community College student publications.

-Elliott Pratt

No comments: