Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cash found at Vol State- what would you do?

English major Keith Harper was walking to class when he spied an envelope full of cash and a couple of receipts.  Harper wanted to do the right thing, but he did not know how to locate the person who lost the money.  He contacted campus police to see if anyone had reported it, but they showed no records of lost cash.  He chose to turn it in anyway, sharing a detailed description of when and where he found the envelope.  

“I could have stuck the money in my pocket, but all I could think about was that some student was depending on this.  I am learning to be a writer and I know how hard it is to make ends meet,” said Harper.  “I thought, maybe they had plans with their family or something.  This all happened about the time that students were receiving grant money, and I know how much it would affect me to lose this much cash.”

Vol State Police Officer Steve Etheridge took up the quest for the owner of the dough.  He began an extensive search through archived surveillance videos without much success.   

"The camera angles did not reveal anyone dropping the envelope," said Etheridge.  "So, I followed the trail of the receipt across the street to Textbook Brokers.  With the help of security videos from Operations Manager, Michael Moghadam, I was able to find a clue to the owner’s identity.  I contacted the student who lost the envelope and he said, he thought it was a lost cause, nobody would turn in an unmarked envelope with almost five-hundred dollars cash.”
 
“We try to help campus police anytime we can," said Moghadam.  "The student that lost the money got lucky that someone was honest enough to turn it in  and an officer was diligent enough to spend the time researching it.”

Volunteer State Community College

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Keith!

kendall casey said...

thats amazing to see someone that still has some kind of compassion for the fellow human that awesome! good job kid!!

Anonymous said...

It's so great to know that there are still honest people out there! God sees everything and I believe that good deeds like that truly are rewarded at some point in life.

Anonymous said...

Wow that Michael guy is such a hottie! XOXO!

Anonymous said...

To God Be the Glory! Heaven is looking down on you Keith. Always remember when doing right , good things will follow.