Friday, May 18, 2012

Hey Veterans- if you haven't been able to get VA educational assistance, you may be able to now

Many Vol State student veterans get VA educational assistance, but there are some folks, for many different reasons, who have not been eligible. There’s a new veterans program coming out very soon called the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). It potentially could help some of the student veterans without VA benefits. Here’s a letter from Curtis L. Coy, Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

“We will start accepting applications for the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)on May 15th for training that begins on or after July 1, 2012. If you are an unemployed Veteran, you may be eligible to receive 12 months of training assistance equal to the full-time monthly payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program (currently $1,473 per month). You must pursue a program approved for VA benefits offered by a community college or technical school. The program must lead to a high demand occupation and result in an Associate Degree, Non-College Degree or a Certificate. Don't forget to sign up early as participation in the program is limited to a total of 99,000 Veterans with only 45,000 Veterans allowed to participate prior to October 1, 2012. The VA will publish more details on the program as they become available at our VOW website:

Volunteer State Community College


No comments: