Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Vol State Astronomy in Action

People across the world watched the historic transit of Venus passing the sun. Many folks showed up to watch the transit here at Vol State as the Astronomy Department and the Cumberland Astronomical Society set up telescopes specially set to view the sun. Keith Bell took his kids and has this report:

"This was a wonderful event. I took my two daughters to see this momentous occasion and they loved it. We appreciate the effort Tim Farris, the Math & Science Department, and the Cumberland Astronomical Society went to to allow us to see Venus cross the face of the Sun. I've attached a picture I took with my iPhone through one of the telescopes. Venus is the black dot you see on the red orb, and if you look closely you can see a solar flare between 2 and 3 o'clock on the Sun's surface. This event won't happen again for another 105 years so you can bet I consider myself so fortunate to witness it with my kids." -Keith Bell.

These are some photos of the transit taken at the event. Just another example of Vol State Math and Science in action!

Volunteer State Community College Math and Science

 

No comments: