Monday, August 27, 2012

President's Picnic Welcomes New Students


The President's Ambassadors represent the college at many events, including the President's Picnic, held this weekend to welcome new students. Ambassador Mandie Coons shares her experience:
The President's Picnic was a blast! It was great to see the new students along with some of the current students and faculty and staff all together to enjoy that fun day of music, food, campus tours, face painting and so much more! I have been enrolled at Vol State for 3 years and this was actually my first year to attend the President's Picnic. I didn't have any idea that it was as big of an event as it actually is and I never expected to see the amount of people that were actually there.

I had a great time getting to interact with the students, faculty, staff, and other ambassadors. I gave a few tours, helped some of the food vendors when it was time for lunch, and enjoyed some of the live music and snow cones that were offered.

This was a good event for the students to attend but also the families of the students. I had several parents tell me that they had no idea a college could be so friendly and helpful when it came to their child's higher education. I was thrilled when some of the individuals asked me what my "title" was. This was the first time that I got to showcase the Ambassador program. I was so excited to explain what a President's Ambassador was and I had a few students who even seemed interested in the program for themselves in the future. I really enjoyed my time working the President's Picnic and I will definitely encourage students to attend them in the future!

-Mandie Coons

No comments: