Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Where to Eat on Campus

Vol State is surrounded by a few choice food places, but there is only one choice actually on campus and that's the Vol State Grill, run by First Choice Foods. This year caffeine fans and Asian food lovers will have something to cheer about. This fall semester the Grill will introduce a barista, serving iced coffees, frappes, lattes and smoothies made with real fruit. The grill is also introducing “A Taste of Asian,” where individuals will be able to pick their choice of veggies, sauces, rice and noodles from the bar and then have it grilled up with meat of their liking.

“We have one of the biggest salad bars in Gallatin, said Paul Fields. There is also a hot bar where most of the food is made from scratch, including the soups.
If you're ready for dessert, soft serve ice cream is also available. Feel free to mix things up with candy toppings including Oreos, Butterfingers, and Heath Toffee Bars.
The grill is open Monday through Friday, offering breakfast and lunch.  If you think you are familiar with the Grill, there have been a few changes to its appearance. The chalk board has been replaced by a digital board showcasing the menu and new signs have been added.

First Choice Foods also runs the vending machines. They are working on a Facebook page as well as an online menu that should be posted soon. If you don’t want to wait for your food to cook, place an order in advance via email or text to vscc.grill@volstate.edu. You can also place an order ahead of time and let them know what time you plan to pick it up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog. I'm new and haven't been to the grill yet, so I still have many questions.

I don't know what building the grill is in, the hours it's open, the location of the vending machines or what they sell, what you think of the food, the relative prices at the grill, or how it compares to nearby alternatives.

But, at least now I know the grill exists.

Margaret Blakemore said...

Thank you for the comment and I apologize for not including the location and hours of operation.

The grill is located in the Wood Campus Center Room 201 Food Services. It is the first door on the right if you are walking in from the plaza area.

The grill is open Mon. - Fri. 7:30a.m.-3:00p.m.

There is hot food on the bar, like meat and veggies. There is also cook to order food, like chicken tenders, mini burgers, Angus beef burgers as well as turkey and soy burgers. Pizza seems to go fast.

The vending machines are located throughout the campus. If I am not mistaken, I believe there is a machine in each building, except Caudill Hall.

I personally eat the turkey burgers quite frequently through the week. It's really good and the price is unbeatable.

I hope this helps you.

Unknown said...

I graduated from Vol Sate last Fall and I can say that the Grill is not anything like what you would expect from a cafeteria. The food is restaurant quality with better than reasonable prices. I was never disappointed with the food I got. My personal favorite was the turkey club sandwich... Mmm I miss those. The veggie burgers are really good too, if you're a health nut.

Hi, Margaret! I didn't know that you are the new blog writer. Congratulations! (You may not remember me; I used to work in the Language Center.)

Unknown said...

I graduated from Vol Sate last Fall and I can say that the Grill is not anything like what you would expect from a cafeteria. The food is restaurant quality with better than reasonable prices. I was never disappointed with the food I got. My personal favorite was the turkey club sandwich... Mmm I miss those. The veggie burgers are really good too, if you're a health nut.

Hi, Margaret! I didn't know that you are the new blog writer. Congratulations! (You may not remember me; I used to work in the Language Center.)

Margaret Blakemore said...

Thanks for your comment, you didn't leave a name, so I'm unsure if I remember you. But if you are the student that transferred to WKU and your mom was in my history class, then yes. Also you are right about the veggie burgers!Most of the time the only other food I ate was when they catered an event and it was always delicious.