Thursday, September 6, 2012

Register to Vote- Before the Deadline!

If you plan to vote in this year’s presidential election you will need to register 30 days before the election, and this year that date is Oct 9.
With the right to vote, comes great responsibility, and that responsibility includes getting registered. There are forms you can pick up at several locations throughout your city, or you can register here on Vol State campus. Today, September 6, the League of Women Voters of Hendersonville will be in the Wood Campus Center with registration forms from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
“We think that it is important that everybody vote… every vote counts," said Linda Flood, former Vice President of Voters’ Services of Hendersonville’s League of Women Voters.
With volunteers on campus to help register individuals to vote, why not take advantage of the opportunity?
The League of Women Voters will be back on campus Sept. 17, from 11:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m. outside the tiled dining room of the Wood Campus Center.

Lonnie Scott presents “Make Your Mark and VOTE!” Sept. 26, at 12:20p.m. in the carpeted dining room of the Wood Campus Center. There will be voter registration materials available at that presentation.
“I’m excited about voting this year, because I just turned 18,” said Nikki Clark. "I’m excited that I get to express what I think, by my voting choices."
Linda Flood, Karen See and Bonnie Fertig
Not all first timers are excited about voting. Some are undecided and others have decided to just stay away from the polls all together.
“My parents talk to me all the time, saying I need to vote because it’s important,” said Olivia Caldwell. "But I haven’t decided (if I will vote) because I don’t care for either candidate."
“Someone came on campus last year, so I registered to vote,” Daniel Richardson said. “I’m probably not going to vote simply because there is no one I would like to vote for."
If you have questions about voting, and even about the issues in the races, you can speak to the volunteers with the League of Women Voters. They never support candidates, but they are informed about the issues.
“I think it’s important to vote if you have political background, meaning knowledge of what’s going on in the race,” said Drew Crutcher. “I don’t know enough about either (candidate) to even vote."
So, why not get informed, why not use the right that is given to you. A right that many fought and died in order for their descendants to gain.
“We have a right, so why not?” said Chris Henson.
"Voting is kind of a rite of passage… It’s being able to have a say my vote counts," said Jake Poore. "A lot of people view it as, I’m only one person, my vote doesn’t count, but if a lot of people do that, then nothing gets done."
For more information about the League of Women Voters of Hendersonville, click here.
For more information about the about the where to vote in your area or information about the candidates, click here.

No comments: