Thursday, December 6, 2012

From Campus to the Red Carpet

Last night while you were watching the Grammy nominations live on CBS from the comfort of your sofa, Vol State student Jesse Walker, 19, was sitting in the pressroom backstage.

This is not Walker’s first time at a star-studded event. With the responsibility of being a full time-student, President’s Ambassador and working a part-time job, Walker is also an entrepreneur.

Walker, who is majoring in business administration, already owns his own companies.

One is Country Music Candles. Jesse himself makes candles in boot shaped glass in a different assortment of scents. 

The other company is Country Music Treehouse. This is a website where Walker interviews country music stars on the red carpet of events in the Nashville area.

The interview site was started in 2009.

“I just wanted to do something in the music business, but I didn’t want to wait until after college; I wanted to start then,” said Walker.

Walker has come a long way since his first interview.

“Looking back at my first interview, I was nervous and unprepared,” Walker said. “It was spur-of-the-moment.  I was waiting in line for a meet and greet with [country-pop singer] Jordyn Shellhart.”

When Walker is not working on an interview or going to school, he is making candles.

“It’s really cool to know that just a few months ago, it was an idea in my mind; now I have a product that I can hold and sell to someone, and it’s a good solid product,” Walker said.

With so much on his plate and finals around the corner, Walker is often asked how does he manage it all.

“Anytime I hear people use the excuse that they are too busy, I say, I have all these jobs and get things done… One day at a time,” Walker said. “You need to know your limit.”