Wednesday, April 24, 2013

From Vol State Practicum to Professional


Timothy Battle with Darius Rucker 
“If I did not do it (WVCP-FM radio show) at Vol State, I would not be where I am now,” said Timothy Battle, the new producer for Clear Channel’s Big 98 WSIX-FM The Bobby Bones show.
Battle started his broadcasting career here at Vol State as a radio disc jockey for WVCP-FM  in the radio practicum class COMM 291P.
“I started at the radio station in spring of 2008,” said Battle. ‘It was great because I was working Tuesday nights with an all request rock show.”

The Vol State radio practicum class, as well as other practicum classes, give students the actual real life experience that they will need for their future career.

“I could have gone to a four year school, but I chose Vol State because I was going to get a good education and it was more hands-on.”

Battle does not think he would have received the full experience of being part of a radio production if he went to a different school, and he would not have been prepared for the real life experience. 

After graduating in fall 2011 with an associate's degree in radio and television broadcasting, Battle worked as a Clear Channel intern the following spring and summer. He heard about the job from a friend who was also working at WVCP-FM. He said he folded t-shirts, drove a truck, and assisted the talent.

“In radio it’s all about working your way up,” said Battle. “In February I got the job offer of being a morning show producer.”

Battle plans to continue to work his way up the radio ladder and he aspires to have his own radio show. Until then, you can hear him doing voice-overs for Clear Channel commercials broadcast on Big 98, 101.1 The Beat and 107.5 The River.

No comments: