I'm not alone. I'm sure that you and your classmates can share a few horror stories about the first few weeks of the semester.
Starting Monday, classes will be in full swing. There will be thousands of new and returning students on campus. When you combine that many people, along with students experiencing Vol State for the first time, things can get chaotic fast.
Here are a few tips that could ease traffic, open parking spaces, and get you to class on time.
Arrive Early- If your class starts at 8:00 am please do not arrive at 7:55am. I recommend arriving to campus 20 to 30 minutes prior to class beginning. Those extra minutes will make a world of difference.
- Use the other entrances. The entrance off of Green Lea Blvd. is still rarely used and is one of my favorite ways to get on to campus. In the mornings, the Gap Blvd. entrance is used less than Vol State's main entrance on Nashville Pike.
- Commit to a parking spot. Don't waste time searching for that perfect spot close to your first class. This causes additional traffic congestion and it could possibly make you late to your class.....BUT make sure it is an authorized parking space. Do not park in faculty, handicap, and even visitor parking. You will get a ticket
- Be prepared to park in the outer lots around campus due to closer lots being full at peak times between 9am-1:00pm. Again, allow yourself enough time to walk from these lots.
"I encourage everyone to get their decals. Every student and faculty member has to have a decal to park on campus. It causes problems and could lead to a ticket," Rogan explains.
- Familiarize yourself with the new campus map. A few notable changes on it is the new Wallace Health Sciences Complex, as well as the Police Call Boxes are identified.
- Remember to abide by the speed limit. The speed limit on campus is 15 MPH,use caution for pedestrians.
So, just keep in mind of the different ways to enter campus as well as the additional lots to park. Plan your day early and obey all parking signs.
Just a quick tip. Your instructor is not obligated to give you a "pass" because you failed to plan to be on time, looking for a parking space or being stuck in traffic probably will not get you anywhere but late.
If you need assistance finding your way around check out our new campus map. http://www.volstate.edu/Map/Campus-Map.pdf