Monday, September 16, 2013

Get Free Help With Your Papers

There have been many times that I have had to write a paper for a class and could not develop a topic. How many of you have gotten back a paper painted with red ink because of grammar and punctuation errors?

Language Center Tutor, Steve Koch
The Language Center (LC, located in the Ramer Building in Room 157) can help you with generating ideas for a paper, assist in the organization and punctuation of your paper, and simply provide one-on-one feedback.

The Language Center collaborates with faculty to provide students with support and assistance in a friendly, relaxed environment.You'll get attention from one of the professional tutors, many of whom are faculty members here on campus, or even a student tutor that has succeeded in an English or writing course.

Steve Koch, a tutor in the Language Center, was preparing for his day when I visited.

"We work with everyone who comes in here that is looking for guidance or just someone to be an audience," he said.



The Language Center collaborates with faculty to provide students with support and assistance in a friendly, relaxed environment. You can count on receiving 100% of attention from one of the professional tutors, many of whom are faculty members here on campus, or even a peer tutor that has succeeded in an English or writing course.

I went to the Language Center to get help with my English research paper. The tutors were very helpful with editing my paper. They listened when I read my material to them and even gave me advice on adding additional material. It's nice just getting a second or sometimes a third opinion on your paper.

Shala Curtis puts the final touches on her paper.
While I was there I met Shala Curtis, she was polishing her history paper, so I decided to get her opinion on the Center.

"They really help students that come in here, you can receive a different view point on your paper."

"You do not lose anything by coming here, you can only benefit yourself. I recommend anyone to stop by if they just want a second opinion, there is always someone willing to help," said Curtis. "I am writing a paper for history, so when I come in here they have went over my paper and proof- read it to help me come up with better ideas."

Suzanne Previte, the director of the Language Center, is clearly excited about writing.

Eddy Rivera edits an article for the school's newspaper.
"For students who come to the Language Center they  are more successful in the classroom," said Previte. "When students come and meet tutors in the Language Center that are friendly and helpful, they are more comfortable continuing their program and working toward success."

Last summer, they began piloting a Language Center program that was accessible through a student's D2L online. It was offered online for every class during the summer semester. She hopes to open up online sessions to all students, in all classes, in the future.

It's important to note that the Language Center is not only for English classes but all subjects, including everything from history and to sociology.

For more information about the Language Center, including the hours visit:

www.volstate.edu/LanguageCenter





1 comment:

Paul Farmer said...

I love the Language Center. I used their services so often, it became kind of like a home room for me. Great blog!