The Vol State INFS111 Android class recently
finished a new version of "Campus Hound". It's a student-designed
mobile app that can help students with campus information, a mobile map etc. It
gives you some features from the website, but inmobile format.
This is a student designed app. The official Vol State mobile app is coming soon and the web site currently has a mobile friendly version.
HEY I HAVE AN ANDROID PHONE. HOW DO I GET CAMPUS HOUND?
You can look for it in the Google Play Store by searching for CampusHound. This is the direct link.
WILL IT WORK ON MY ANDROID TABLET?
Yes. But you won't find it in the Google Play Store because a tablet technically can't make phone calls and the Campus Hound App has that ability. However, if you have an Android Tablet and want a copy of Campus Hound, send me an email. I can send you the APK to install directly on your tablet. I'm running it on my Nexus tablet and it works great…even prompts me to use Skype to make the calls.
IS THERE AN IPHONE VERSION?
Sorry, no. This is an Android course. Tech note for iPhone/iPad Fans: Programming for the iPhone/iPad would be a completely different, more advanced course.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE FEATURES OF CAMPUS HOUND 2.0?
• Find your way around the Vol State Campus with interactive maps that you can browse by building. Locate classes and offices easily.
• Use the Campus Directory to locate all departments and offices. With one touch you can find their location or dial the phone number.
• Stay up-to-date with Campus Happenings, Student Life and Events Calendars. Follow Vol State’s Social Media sites; Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, and more.
• View the Vol State catalog, log onto your online classes, go to the Library’s website, and view an up-to-date list of FAQs.
• Voice activated search feature that allows you to type or speak the item you are looking to find.
• Access to security services offered on campus and Campus Safety Tips. Includes a link to sign up for Emergency Text Alerts.
• Automatically updates news feeds, directory, calendar, links and FAQs for the latest information available from Vol State’s website.
WHAT STUDENTS DEVELOPED VERSION 2.0?
There were two student groups that worked on competing apps this semester. As in the past, the students did all the programming, created all the graphics and provided all the marketing verbiage. The winning app was developed by the following Vol State Student Team:
• Julia Briley (team leader)
• Mike Martone (lead programmer)
• David Cothern
• Austin Fromm
Feel free to email Dan.Arena@Volstate.edu