Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Student Completes Learning Support Class In Two Weeks

When obstacles emerge for most college students, the first place to turn to are parents. But for a lot of Vol State students that is not always an option. For student Tanisia Osborne, adversity struck her at the most inconvenient time, when she had to buy her books for classes. The price of those books was high,especially for her math class.Tanisia's heating unit stopped working at the same time that she had to buy books for her classes. So she had two options: Pay for her books for the semester or repair her heating unit to keep her family warm.



"I could not receive financial aid, so my options were limited. I took of advantage of using a temporary code that was available. I had 14 days to complete it, so I did what I had to do" said Osborne. "I chose to take care of my family." `

So, with consistency, determination, and many late nights she completed each module, quiz, and test within the 14-day trial period, passing with no problem.

"Having a great support system and a great instructor is important,"she continued. " I am thankful for Dr. Kimberly Caldwell for taking the time to explain the math, every step and  process to how I can understand it"                

Tanisia took an obstacle and turned it into an accomplishment. As students we are faced with hardships everyday. As I spoke with Tanisia, I took a look at my personal struggles with school, work and family. I realized that my success is truly up to me and no one else.


3 comments:

Laken Wymer said...

You go girl!!! I love to hear, see and read success stories of young, determined mothers. I don't know you but I am proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Simply amazing! You're an inspiration to this 44 year old mother and grandmother! Blessings on all of your endeavors!
Suzanne Phy

Amy said...

Wonderful! You're truly an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story.