Monday, May 4, 2015

Father and Daughter Graduate Together on Saturday

Steve Yorlano of Gallatin will be walking across the stage at the Vol State graduation ceremony on May 9 and he won’t be alone.
Yorlano took a psychology class at Vol State back in 2007. But it wasn’t until 2009 that he took it seriously. His reason is one that many people can appreciate.
“I found myself in a transition with the economic situation,” Yorlano said. “The company I was with cut 12 positions and I was one of them.”
He started work on a Criminal Justice degree in 2010, attending part-time while working.
“Eventually I’d like to teach criminal justice classes, maybe even at Vol State. But I have a ways to go to get a graduate degree.”
His pathway will start at MTSU in the fall.
Yorlano isn’t the first in his family to graduate from Vol State. His sons Nick and Craig earned their degrees as Pioneers. And he will be joined on the stage at this graduation with his daughter Kelli. How does she feel about graduating with dad?
Oh, gosh,” she says with a laugh. “I’m proud of him. It’s something he wanted to do. I’m glad he’s walking when I am.”
“At first she through it was weird when she found out we would graduate together,” Steve said.
“It was weird at first,” Kelli finally admits.
But having your dad in college at the same time as you does have its advantages.
“It helped having him along,” Kelli said. “He helped me register for classes and I went to him with homework questions. He was going through the same thing.”
Father and daughter even looked over each other’s papers.
And why are so many Yorlanos Vol State graduates?

“It’s conveniently located and a great campus,” Steve said. “I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with the faculty and staff. The faculty members really go out of their way to help you.”

No comments: