Thursday, February 11, 2016

I Read My College Homework to My 9-Year-Old


 
My son is in school now but I’ll always be a homeschooler at heart. My philosophy has been teach him to love reading, and he’ll be a learner for life. It is, after all, the same philosophy that got me where I am today and eventually prompted me to come back to school to pursue an English degree.

When I started taking classes at Vol State that were reading-intensive I sometimes found myself, well, drifting and easily distracted. Add to that an only child who is used to more of my attention, and getting through 100 pages of Gilgamesh becomes quite a chore.

“Do you want me to read to you?” I asked, wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone. “Sure!” he replied excitedly.

Honestly, I thought he’d get bored fifteen minutes in, but he stuck with me. It took me two days to read the assignment to the both of us, stopping often to explain things to him. By the time we were done, however, I understood the story in depth. Since then we’ve read everything from Hamlet and Gulliver’s Travels to Psychology and how the brain works, and I’ve lectured him on my World History notes and taught him some French. This isn’t to say that I read him everything, and he has by no means been able to keep up with it all. He helps me through the important highlights, not to mention keeps me from dozing off with my face in a book.

When I talk about learning to balance my time, this is one of my secrets to success. My son gets a very rounded education and I get closer to my degree. We both get to spend more time together, then we treat ourselves for our hard work with hot cocoa and Godzilla movies. That’s what I call a win-win.
 
How do you balance your time between work, family, and school? Share with us in the comments!
 
Gaynell Buffinet Payne
 
 
 
Gaynell Payne is a writer, single mother, and student at Volunteer State Community College. She also blogs for Vol State's Returning Adult Learners.
 
 

No comments: