Sunday, June 19, 2016

This Dad Goes to Class With His Son


"It feels like you shouldn’t be in school with your kid. But it was fun.”

Coy Chandler has a lot in common with his son, Matthew: they’re both students at Vol State. Chandler spent eight years in law enforcement, then decided to reenlist in the Army. “I felt that God was leading me to the military,” he says. “I also felt like I hadn’t done enough yet for my country.”

After an explosion injured his spine, Chandler realized that he couldn’t “kick down doors anymore” because of his injury and decided to come back to college for a degree in Paralegal Studies. On the first day that he drove to school with his son, they tried to make plans to meet up after classes. It was only then that they realized they were taking the same class. 

"Remembering Our Fallen" was on display at Vol State in April
"My dad knew some of those men,"
says Matthew. "Remembering Our
Fallen" was on display at Vol State
in April.
“I was excited about it,” he recalls with a laugh. “He sat in the back but I dragged him to the front. He made really good grades that semester.”

“I thought it was cool. It feels like you shouldn’t be in school with your kid. But it was fun.”

Now that he’s back in school, Coy Chandler is carrying on a tradition. “I remember sitting in Caudill Hall, doing my homework while my mom was in class.”





Gaynell Buffinet Payne is a writer, single mother, and student at Volunteer State Community College. She also blogs for Vol State's Returning Adult Learners.

No comments: