Monday, November 28, 2016

Hitting A Wall


Soon after my son was diagnosed with autism, someone told me quite casually “It will be okay.” At the time I was deep into 12-hours-a-day research of all things autism and formulating a long list of steps we needed to take. Frustrated at the flippancy of the comment, I replied that it will be okay “because I’m going to make it okay.”

It’s a common platitude that things will “work out for the best.” Yet not many people float down the lazy river of life having things just work out. You have to work for it.

Last week I hit three walls on the path that I’ve chosen. They weren’t little walls, but the kind that
knock a person down and make them think about giving up and going to live in a tent on a beach. Okay, I think about that occasionally anyway.

My Happy Place
So I took a break, spent some time with my son, ate some pumpkin pie, and came back more determined than ever. Setbacks have a way of teaching me more about myself, and disappointment refines my understanding of what I really want. I’ve faced bigger walls than this.

This semester has been tough for some – for different reasons. Finals are looming, we’re all exhausted, and probably a lot of you have some personal hardships on top of it. Stand up, breath, and push through it. Life only works itself out in nice little bows on television. The rest of us have to make it okay ourselves. You can do it.



Gaynell Buffinet Payne is a writer, single mother, and student at Volunteer State Community College. She also blogs for Vol State's Returning Adult Learners.

No comments: