Monday, June 12, 2017

Overcoming Freshman Fears

“When you get to college, you’re going to have a harder time. The professors there won’t let you get away with some of the stuff you do here.” I can’t attribute this quote to one single teacher, but I heard it many times throughout high school. The funny thing is that I remember this being said about high school when I was in eighth grade, and about middle school when I was a fifth grader. It’s true that college is quite a leap from high school, what with the different expectations and all, but I wouldn’t say it’s been all that bad. On the contrary, being a student at Vol State has been the best time of my life.

Like most students, I had a mix of emotions during my first couple of weeks as a college student. There was joy in having the freedom I didn’t have in high school, but there was also fear that I was in over my head. For those first few weeks, most of my time was spent in the library studying and listening to music. I figured it would be a good idea to stay on top of things. While I was right about that, I wasn’t having that great of a time. Eventually, I made friends with some of my classmates and we made a habit of hanging out a lot. As the months wore on, I made more friends and worked hard, even making it onto the Dean’s List and having one of my essays published. All it took was for me to overcome my fears. Now it is time for you to do the same.

Hello there, my name is Shannon. I create content for Vol State's blog and Facebook page. If you have any questions, email me at Shannon.Lamont@volstate.edu

No comments: