Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Not that we're encouraging it....but if you need to drop a class here are some tips.

Coming back to school is exciting. But sometimes students bite off more than they can chew and become overwhelmed from taking too many classes or there may be a family emergency. In any case, life sometimes gets in the way. If that happens a class may need to be dropped.
Drop/Add/Withdrawal Form
Some students are unaware of how to properly withdraw from a class.
“I’ve only been told to speak with my adviser, but I’ve never dropped. Usually when I pick a class I stick with it”, said Johanna Gutierrez.
Speaking with an adviser should be after you have first spoken to the instructor. Sometimes they can give you tips on how to survive the class if you are struggling.
“Students certainly shouldn’t give up if they are struggling a little bit at some point during the class,” said the Director of the Advising Center, Terry Bubb.
The College Success Zone is a place where students can find out about many programs that may help them stay in class.
After speaking with the instructor and/or seeking tutoring and advising, the student may still want to drop the class. After the 8th day of class, a signature is required from the instructor and the dean of the department through an add/drop form.
Owing the government is not in the best interest for any college student. So, if a student is receiving financial aid, they will need to speak with the Financial Aid office before dropping a class or withdrawing from school. Dropping a class may have a big impact on your financial aid.
If a student needs to withdraw from the college altogether, they need to speak with a counselor in the Advising Center.
“We know that life gets in the way sometimes...but we encourage them that they can come back and be in good standing,” said Bubb.
Some students believe if they just stop coming to class then the instructor knows that they have dropped. That is not true. An instructor will give you an F as your final grade. It’s always better to have a “W” on your college transcript rather than an “F”. So, make sure to officially drop any class you are unable to complete.

You can find the Advising Center in Ramer room 174 or you can call them at 615-230-3702.


Mary Madsen said...

I've seen countless examples when students, for whatever reason, stop coming to a class because they don't want to take it. Sometimes emergencies do arise but there is a way to drop a class without incurring academic penalties like a failing grade. It's nice that you are posting this article because students should be aware of their options.

Margaret Blakemore said...

Thank you for your comment. Yes, I know the piece is dry and informational, but I too know of students who I sat in class with who just stop coming and did not withdraw.